Purpose of Mold Polishing
- Proper finishing of molding surfaces is important to allow for the release of the part from the mold.
- Release is the ability of the mold to eject a part.
- Polishing insures that the part is not damaged during ejection. For example,:scratches on the molded part from rough surfaces or push marks from ejector pins if the part is sticking in the mold.
- Polishing also prevents damage to the mold that could occur if the mold closed on the part that gets stuck in the tool.
- The polishing process involves a number of steps that must be performed in the proper order. This will insure the best finish in the least amount of time.
- Polishing is a process of replacing one set of scratches with a finer set of scratches until the desired finish is reached.